01 July 2010

Happy Canda Day

Woke up early in the morning, having gone to bed early. By ten, I could hear my pillow calling, and almost as soon as I lay down I fell asleep. Sleep has not felt so fine in so long, especially as when I was travelling most of the time I slept on the floor. It's good to be in the comfort of your own home after such a long time away...

It's a gray morning, cold and damp hanging in the air. Unusual for this time of the year. But it is an special day. Not only dad's birthday, who today would have turned 63. It is also Canada Day, the birth of my new homeland 143 years ago. The day when a nation of beavers and bears, of great lakes and majestic mountains, of remote hamlets and sprawling cosmopolitan cities, of natives and newcomers, of diverse cultures and of acceptance was born.

Canada means a lot of things to a lot of people. And to me, it is a new land of opportunity to be myself, to 'make' and discover myself.

How fitting that I come back here after the series of unwelcome experiences in Europe, and it just happens to be Canada Day.

No comments: