01 May 2010

Good to be home

The doorbell rang. It was close to ten thirty at night. Though I was nearly falling asleep due to the jetlag, I knew who it was, and made a surprised look on my face. Mum turned to me, her face full of questions who would ring the doorbell so late.

Open the safety door, and take a look who it is, I suggested. And so mum took a peek, and laughed out loud when she realised that it was my brother standing there, and in the background, his new 'friend'. She quickly opened the door, and they hugged. I stood by, and smiled. Our family is reunited once again. Dad's portrait in the corner of the room radiated with a big happy smile too.

Brother unpacked, and took out lots of goodies for mum and his 'friend'. Flowers, wine, cheese, cookies, toothpaste, souvenirs, chocolates... never have I seen him bring so much stuff in his suitcase. Maybe he saw how I seem to always fill my suitcase with goodies for all sorts of people wherever I go, and he felt like doing the same. Brother, slowly, is really changing, and good karma seems to rub off and infect others.

Mum feeling upset that brother wasn't coming home was all gone, dissipated like mist through sunlight as she clutched onto the bouquet of colourful tulips from Holland. I could see that she was overjoyed, smiling a lot, even though it was well past her normal bedtime (and I was almost dozing off...)

Later brother said to mum why he came back, even though it'll be only for two weeks. After Carmen passed away, he realised a lot, he said. He could have used the same money for his plane ticket to buy a new TV, but he can always watch TV whenever he wants to. Whether that is true about seeing mum is not so certain. So here he is, days before mum's birthday and Mother's Day.

Both undoubtedly will be special days this year.

No comments: