17 April 2010

Plans

"Don't worry. I believe that because you're so caring, Buddha will protect me..." mum said. She sounded normal, though there was a hint of tiredness in her voice. Just yesterday she had the invitro chemo removed, and she said she's slowly recovering from the poisonous cocktails. It takes time, and she's feeling weak and miserable, but better than yesterday at least. It takes time to recover, and then comes another session in less than two weeks. Each time, more and more cells are being killed off. Both the bad and healthy ones.

I guess the fact that I will be with her at the end of the month made her feel happy. Or at least have something to look forward to. We talked a bit about plans for the coming weeks, and I asked about the possibility of her going to Europe to recuperate for a month or so. My plan is to join her, be with her, and possibly, if she's up to it, take her on trips to see the lavenders of southern France... so that when she sees the sea of purple and lilac, she can forget, even if only for one moment, that she is a cancer patient.

All that is still uncertain, and will have to wait. She wasn't sure about the exact dates yet, but she said she is hopeful. "I want to, and my will is strong," she said. Through the darkest of times, it is hopes that keep people afloat, and I would like to believe that this is one of those circumstances.

So as so often I am still taking a 'wait-and-see' approach. How I wish I could just decide on a date, book something and not have to think about things too much. Like friends of mine, with their well thought out travel dates and holiday plans... I often wonder how they can plan ahead and have everything so figured out. How one can plan everything down to the flights one is
taking or the number of days one is staying somewhere before jetting off to another destination.

Isn't life so much simpler, and in many ways cheaper too, without having to deal with sudden changes and associated fees and expenses?

No comments: