04 April 2010

Easter



After a long Easter brunchner (breakfast-lunch-dinner) with two friends, I took my bike and went for a cycle. I love the feeling of cycling down the St Laurent (not so much the bugs that get into my face and hair), the feeling of freedom and the wind rushing past my ears. I love the broad, almost endless width of the river, the horizonless skyline of trees, the green grass and dawning skies. I feel free, I feel happy to be back here in Canada.

A friend had in fact written to me and said that I have made my home, my nest here in Canada.
And it is true. Of all the places I can go, of all the places I have lived and wandered, of all the 'homes' I have been in the past month, this is where I feel most comfortable, most "at home".

Not that Taiwan or where my mum is feels less homely, not that Holland, where I spent my childhood and teenage years feels distant... just that this place feels like a place I could always go back to no matter after how long and feel relaxed. I have my fridge, my stove, my bed and all the decorations and belongings that I put around to personalise the place (of course all material things I could do with or without). I have good friends and a sweet little cat. And I feel most myself here in Canada. Perhaps that's why it makes the place more "home" than anywhere else...

No comments: