06 April 2010

Medium

Speaking to mum this morning, she mentioned that she has heard from dad. She said that dad had apparently received the letter that I wrote to him...

I know I should be happy about it, happy to hear from beyond the grave. But I feel somewhat irritated. Ever since dad passed, this 'medium'/'psychic'/'fortune teller'/'Daoist master' has been coming into our lives and appearing at regular intervals to deal with our family affairs. From the funeral to moving house, from my brother's future marriage to communicating wtih dad, this 'medium' has been present. I even had an argument with mum about this, because I felt that especially in the aftermath of dad's passing, he was getting more and more intrusive, verging on the point of telling us how we should best mourn and commemorate my own dad.

So again, when I hear that dad has gone to communicate with this 'medium', I am skeptical and somewhat annoyed. I guess if hearing such things (superstition? Makebelieve?) comforts mum, then by all means... but hearing that my letter has been received somehow makes me uncomfortable, especially as the letter was such a personal connection to my dad. Maybe I should be happy that dad has received the letter... but I feel annoyed that I must hear this from ma third person who did not even know dad before his death...

No comments: