20 June 2007

Something weird


I went to work this morning, having had not such a good night's sleep. Woke up a abit moody, and not at all looking forward to the day. Not even after a shower.

When I got to the office, it got a bit better, and I did a few good hours of more website building, until after 1pm or so, and decided it was time for lunch and a walk. So took a break and went outside for fresh air, thinking I'd get back into the office and start to finally work on my thesis.

So I sat down, and started to read this book I had borrowed already for three weeks but never had the "chance" (read: mood) to read. After around twenty pages or so, I started feeling drowsy, and really sleepy. The sun was shining and it was boiling hot, since my office is on the top floor.

"Time for a nap" my mind thought to myself. "What?! Here at work? Impossible! Ridiculous!"

But it was tempting. My office is pretty big, and very roomy, and there's just me there during the summer period. And it's at the back of the building, on the top floor, so not many (if any!) people ever go there. "Nobody has to know..." my mind kept saying to me.

It was very quiet, as if the whole building was deserted. If anyone were to come to the office, they'd first have to come through a door, and walk up a flight of stairs. "You'd be awake before anyone makes it up the stairs!" my mind consoled me, and tempted me further into napping.

So... I set the alarm for around 15 minutes, grabbed my thin summer coat, and just plopped myself down in one corner of the room, where it was cool and a bit darker. Closed my eyes, and just napped.

At first, I was still a bit uneasy, worried that I might fall asleep too soundly and wake up to see people standing over me and watching me. But I was paranoid, and reminded myself there was noone around, and that I'd hear people if they were really to come up the stairs. So I closed mys eyes, and just napped.

The alarm rang... but I pressed the snooze button, not once, but three times. When I finally decided to wake up, it was already 3pm. Feeling refreshed and somewhat 'proud' that I managed to pull this funny trick at work, I went back to working on my thesis. But then it was soon time to go home.

Another productive day... Well, at least that's the one crazy thing I promised myself I must do everyday.

No comments: