23 June 2007

Shock...


My skin crawled and my heart sunk when I heard the news. This should happen to no one! No one! I thought to myself.

"... she was taking the train when it happened. On the train between Schiphol (airport) and Amsterdam. She was in a carriage with no one else, but this one other guy..."

Shudder... disgust...

"...the guy was sitting opposite her. She was just reading a book or something, and she looked up, and saw the guy jerking off. She stood up to walk away, and he followed her..."

Shock... horror...

"... he pinned her into a corner, and forced her into the toilet. And raped her."

I looked away, imagining what horrible torture the girl must have underwent, and what a horrible person that guy is to do such a horrible thing to another human being. I don't know this girl, but I felt for her, and tried to imagine what pain and traumas she had to endure... My friend who told me this was almost shaking after recounting the story.

We were silent for a few moments after that, unsure how to change the subject, unsure whether to change the subject that had changed the atmosphere of a friendly get-together so dramatically.

Rape... such a strong word, such a dirty word. It's not so much the act itself, but the significance of what it does to another human being, and the meaning behind it that makes it so traumatic. It's being out of control of your body and mind, being subdued to such indescribable physical and emotional trauma, and being violated against your will by someone you don't even know... Believe me, it hurts... perhaps the worse thing that another person can do to another...

The girl is recovering now, and awaiting pregnancy and STD (sexually transmitted diseases) test results. The police are now on the case.

But countless many are not so lucky, as countless many live and hide in shame, afraid to tell, afraid that when other people know their ordeals, they will be stigmatised for life.

May they find the strength to live on, and to deal with the pain... May they find the abilitiy to heal, and be able to walk out of the shadows...

No comments: