21 June 2007

Afternoon nightmare


Just had one of the most terrifying nightmares ever...

I'm just lying in bed, seeing myself sleeping. I hear noises and movements in the house, and I get up to move around. I see myself move, my hands and feets, but the next moment I'm 'thrown back' into bed, and still lying there like I haven't moved at all. I hear more noises and voices in the house. I roll over and try to step out of bed, only to be 'thrown back' into bed again, back into my sleeping position.

I try to move my arms and legs, and have the feeling I have control over them one moment. But the very next moment, I'm back in that position in bed where I'm just lying there and sleeping. I try to get out of bed again, and actually see people moving around through the opening of the door. I try to say something, and try to move toward the door, but then I'm thrown back into bed again, immobilised. It's very confusing and frustrating.

I try many more times, each time moving my head, my arms and feet. But I never can make it out of my room. And very suddenly I get 'thrown back' into bed again, to be back in the same position and to be immobilised like an invalid unable to control his body. But at the same time, I can hear the radio playing in the background, hear the voice of the newsbroadcaster go on and on about the latest news and stock market prices and the weather.

I feel so trapped, not being able to control my body, and increasingly frustrated by being 'thrown back' into bed. I feel like I am losing my ability to move, and feel like I may be like this forever. I ask myself if this is what death is like... And next moment I burst into (tears in my dream)...

...only to wake up in the next moment in reality, and realise it was all a dream. A terrible dream. The radio was on, and the newsbroadcaster kept on rambling on about the Palestine, about a dad who had been shot outside his son's primary school this morning... I moved my hand and arm, and they moved the way I wanted wanted it to.

I closed my eyes a bit, trying to regain myself and my thoughts. It was as if in my dream, there were two levels of existences-- one minor existence in which I am sleeping, and another in which I can move around a little, but then quickly return back to that main sleeping existence. But at the same time, the sound of the radio and newsbroadcaster (which represented the third existence of 'real reality' entered these two existences.

I lay in bed, sighing and panting, as if I had another 'out of body' experience. It was such a relief to see my own hand in front of my eyes, and to realise I had regained consciousness again, and to realise that it was all just a dream. A terrible dream.

Outside it poured with rain.

No comments: