20 July 2006

Walk on the beach




The beach was empty tonight. Maybe because of the overcast skies the sunbathing horde had gone home early. Didn't bother me. Enjoy it even more when it's empty.

Took a long walk close to where the waves ended, or started, touching the sand...depends how you look at it. A number of times I was lost in thought, lost in my walking that I didn't notice that my shoes had become soaked. Thank goodness they're waterproof.

Wanted to get away from home, and tonight was the second time this week. Not been doing much lately, at home the whole day, writing, surfing and translating, so after a while it gets stuffy. And when brother comes home the whole mood gets even worse. Not just the stench of cigarretes, but the non-talking, or when we do talk, the really bad attitude and vibrations. Had to get away.

I walked and walked, not sure where I'd end up. I could have walked on and one, had it not been the darkening skies which told me it was close to midnight, or later... A lot of things went through my mind... there were some people at the beach still, the majority couples, some familes, others groups of friends. They seemed all so happy, and together (as in with someone else). Whether it's hugging, playing in the sand, playing ball, or taking a dive, or even just waddling barefeet in the water, they all had someone to talk to, someone to share the experience with.

I looked around me, and there was no one there. No one to share my thoughts, no one to share my feelings with. So I guess that's why I'm writing this.

The beach. Somewhere I go often because it let's me forget how caught up in my thoughts I am, and reminds me how small I stand in the big wide world. Somewhere I go when I'm lonely, but ironically a place where the emptiness simply screams more loneliness. Somehow there is comfort in that loneliness.

The beach. A place where I touched, and was touched in return once, a long, long time ago...

No comments: