24 May 2006

the other side of "I did it"!

OK, so I just came back from a +25km walk, if you want to know details, go to my main blog .
I guess here is where the more jucier details go.

Well, remember I said I got some freebies as part of the raising awareness campaign? I got a bag of tea, some pens, a few flyers....and a condom too. The guy there stood there for like 5minutes talking to me about sexually transmitted diseases (STDs, or in Dutch seksuelle overdraagbare aandoening SOA....please DO NOT, like many people, confuse with my university SOAS!!!) . How common they are, and how deadly they are in the developing world, etc etc. Something else, which was a shocker: 40% of young people in the Netherlands do not use condoms! The guy said that as-a-matter-of-factly, looking at me probably thinking: "Gee, I hope you're not part of this 40%!"
This despite the fact that the official government sponsored campaign against STDs runs with the slogan:

"Laat je niet naaien zonder condoom" (www.safesex.nl)
["Don't let yourself be fucked without condom"]

And this is where it gets more intersting.
Remember I mentioned Haagse Bos as notorious for 'unusual night activities'? Well I saw some, nothing hardcore I must add before people start getting excited. There were a couple of guys (strangely only guys) standing on the side of the path, just standing there, as if they were waiting for something. I mean, please, it was 1am, pouring with rain and freeezing cold....what else could they be waiting for?

Greetings from Holland.

CORRECTION 25 mei 2006
Just realised, instead of one I actually received two condoms. Someone must have slipped me the other one without me realising. Well, knowing me it'll probably be a while till they'll be 'put into action'.

Does anyone know if condoms expire at all ???

No comments: