25 May 2006

Eurovision Song Festival

Hm, someone told me something that may just change my (and the rest of the Dutchies') opinion of the Eurovision song festival. I always thought it was boring the voting were somehow rigged, but something last week Saturday made it more exiciting.

Apparently, the Dutch presenter who gave the results of the voting in the Netherlands pulled a funny joke live on TV. Paul de Leeuw, a very popular and openly gay talkshow host, flirted with Sakis, the male host of the song festival in Athens. I didn't see it, but this other blogger summed it up nicely:
Paul de Leeuw. the spokesman for the Netherlands compared the two hosts, Maria and Sakis, to Will and Grace, and then proceeded to shamelessly flirt with Sakis. He was making fun of Sakis' name and clothes, called him "chickie" at least 3 times and before he announced the 12 points, he said to Sakis: "If you guess who will get the 12 points, I will give you my number"! , alluding to a sexual encounter. Sakis responded: "I bet it is 696969".

Haha! The other day I heard just around 40% of the Dutchies watched the festival ...perhaps after the Paul de Leeuw fiasco ratings will soar next year.

No comments: