29 July 2015

New beginning

Sitting on the floor of the new condo in downtown Toronto. I didn't think this day would come so soon. The view from my balcony, of the CN tower, of the crowd of skyacrappers and dazzling lights, is spectacular. I feel excited, and also breathless. 

I am a home owner now. First time buyer and home owner.

There isn't much in terms of furniture. I'm just here to collect the keys and haven't moved in officially yet. That day will come later in the year. Today, a friend helped me take some essentials to just set up. And we drove the six or so hours from Montreal to Toronto. I slept a bit in the car  , had to as I only slept two hours the night before trying to finish off a deadline. The weather was hot and sunny, and everything went so smoothly. The lawyer called at around 230pm and said the deal finally closed and that I could pick up my keys. I did, along with a bunch of papers.

And then I went to pick up the foldable mattress, the one I used to sleep on whenever I stayed with mum, 
the one that has so many memories of those tumultulous times when she was doing treatment... I'm sleeping on the same mattress tonight, the first night in my new condo.

I say quietly admiring the city and the empty apartment. What will it look like in the future? I have some renovation work planned, I have furniture and appliances to buy. I know what I want...
And all I can think, as happy as I am, is how much I wish mum and dad were here to see me in this condo, how much I wish they could be here right now and stay just one night and experience this special first night with me...

I wrote to my uncle and sent him some pictures. I told him how excited I am, yet also how grateful I am that because of mum and dad's sacrifices and hard work, I have all this and can live with relatively little worry now and can live so comfortably..

New condo... Here is to a bright new beginning and farewell to the past. 

No comments: