13 December 2013

if only for a second...



I came home and watched a video a friend had shared online. I clicked on it, and it made me cry.

What can you do in a second? Make someone laugh. Make someone forget. Make someone realise how wonderful it is to be alive.

In the video, twenty cancer patients are taken to a studio and asked to close  their eyes while they are made up. The reaction the moment they open their eyes again is immemorable, a moment of joy and surprise (pleasant one for a change...) they will not easily forget. But at that very moment, they also forget they are ill, they are terminal, they are dieing

I cried because it reminded me so vividly of those moments I tried to make mum laugh in those tense and difficult, difficult moments battling cancer. The moments I tried to make a joke, tried to massage her and stroke her, tried to give her her favourite food or drink or showed her all these places we had been to before... Moments when my little nephew walked into the room and spoke babble, moments when my nephew smiled and giggled at any little thing... These were moments that made mum forget that she was leaving this world. These were moments that made mum feel fortunate, and made us feel grateful, for every precious moment we had together.

If only for a second.

No comments: