23 December 2013

Fallen Phone

I cleared the balcony of my second floor duplex apartment before heading out. Lots of snow has accumulated, and over the course of the weekend, I've had to clear snow three times. 

Some snow had clumped, like cat litter, with the ice storm that's been wreaking havoc throughout most of southern Ontario and Quebec. So the clumped bits of ice were hard to clear, and I had to strain and use more weight of my body to get rid of them. If I don't, I'm always afraid my neighbour below may get injured from unexpected falling ice.

I leaned on the broom and scrubbed as hard as I could. Clumps of ice fell to the little yard below and punctured the metre or so of snow and ice. Then something long and silver came hurtling out of my jacket pocket. It flew downward like a frisbee and sliced through the snow mound below. There was a visible thin slit cut through.

"Oh, God!" I thought to myself. I'm not a materialistic one. Goodness no. I've lost so many dear things in the past year or so, I know loss is just part of it all. But it was my new HTC  phone, one I'm so proud to own (it was voted phone and gadet of the year, contrary to neighsayers like my brother...). And it wasn't cheap, especially as I had it shipped in from overseas. 

I ran down the flight of stairs (thank goodness I'd cleared the snow the night before...) And wanted to climb over my neighbour fence. I felt uneasy, and it crossed my mind to first ring theit door first. But I was worried about the phone getting wet or too iced abd about "cold" damage. So I just spread my legs and crossed into the snow mound. My legs sunk right in. Close to my waist, whixh is almost a meter. I felt my jeans and boots get damp. I dug into the snow, following the place where my phone made its mark. I dug and felt my fingers turn cold and quickly numb. I felt around. Nothing. I felt a bit more. Sheets of ice I felt and grabbed onto which crumbled in my fingers. Then suddenly something solid. How relieved I was to feel something metallic. 

I quickly hauled it out. My phone. It was moist and felt cold. I quickly wiped it as best I could. I turned on the lock screen. It was working. Someone had called but I missed it (turned out to be my ex...). 

I put the phone in the pocket next to my chest. To warm it up, lest it get hypothermia.

You have to be able to laugh at the mishaps in life. You have to appreicate how life makes fun of you and holes with you. 

No comments: