08 October 2013

Search continues


I was so exhausted at work today, but there is so much to do, and more to be done. I sat down and got up only hours later in time for lunch with someone who asked me to edit his work for him and provide him with feedback. 

And I noticed I was passionate. It was a topic I knew well. International law. Not that I'm an expert or trained in it. But for two years, and for two theses, I poured over the cases and sources of international  law with vigour. And over lunch, we exchanged views on it.

After the long meeting I headed to the police station. I was hesitant at first, reluctant because at the end of the day , what did I lose? A bear. A teddy bear! I felt embarrassed as I walked in.

The kind police man was on the phone so I waited a bit. Someone saw another person fall and called to report it. I could not hear what was said but I could see on the policeman's expression he wasn't too enthused. 

When It was my turn, I described my "problem". I hesitated greatly whether to speak French, as its become rusty I feel. But out of respect, I did.

And I was surprised how he understood me well and that I understood him. I lost a bear, I said. At a charity event yesterday. He nodded and looked at me sympathetically.  He asked what was significant about the bear, and I said my mum gave him tot me. And that she died. 

He said he understood. And he quickly got on the case. First he called his colleagues at another bureau, then he walked around the bureau and searched through the lost and found. He said it may be likely someone found it and took him home. At the same time he took down my number and contact details.

"I understand," he said. "There's a sentimental value. I fully understand." 

I was so touched I had tears in my eyes. I was so worried to be scoffed at, and I admitted to him I know this is nothin too serious or important. But at least he showed genuine concern and understanding. And sometimes that is all you need to feel comforted and touched.

No comments: