17 July 2013

(Almost) theft


I was shaking, was really shaken by what had happened when I realised how much danger I could have been in.  For the next six hours or so, I stayed home and dared  not leave the house, but also partly to wait for the police to show up (which they never did...)

I was just about to leave the house for work when I saw a guy stand at my front door. Shorter than me, blond short hair and blue eyes, black T-shirt with a Microsoft Windows logo on the front. I'd say around 25-30 years old. I live on the second floor of a duplex, so it is unusual for anyone (other than the postman or someone delivering advertising flyers...) to come up to my door. And I didn't even hear any one walking on the exterior staircase leading to my front door, which I normally would hear for it is quite loud and the stairs creak...
The guy just stood there, and quickly asked me how long I've lived here. I found it bizarre, some stranger at the door early in the morning. Then he said he was thirsty and hoping for a glass of water. I found that even more bizarre, and was actually a bit frightened... I felt suspicious, and should have just ignored him. But I turned and went into the kitchen to get water. By the time I got back to the front door, the guy was gone.  It was then I noticed my bike lock, one I bought recently with a steel cable wire that I used to wrap around the wheel and the railing of my front balcony, had been cut through.

My front door became the scene of a crime (attempt to steal...).  I stood there for like five minutes, shocked and scared before I reached for the phone and dialed 911. I gave the description to the emergency response personnel, and was told to stay home till the police arrive. I waited and waited for almost six hours before I called again, only to be told that I better just head down to the police station myself to file a report. (so much for "emergency"... )

When I told a friend later, my shock was met with a flippant joke. Pretty distasteful really, especially given the fact I  was shaking and felt so insecure and unsafe in my own home! Though nothing happened, my own home, the very place of my security and shelter, felt like it had just been violated...

Sure, I didn't have anything stolen, so I guess it's at the bottom of priorities. When I got to the police station, I was told there was little that could be done. All I could do is file a report and maybe, just maybe they will be able to match the description with another crime committed in the area...



No comments: