25 May 2013

Connection


We chatted briefly, and as one would do, I asked her what she's been doing since graduating. She said nothing much. Then she revealed she lost her dad a month ago. 

Two utter strangers somehow became bonded in experience and life. She spoke of how her dad succumbed to cancer, I told her I lost my mum a year ago. We exchanged words and looks that only one who lost someone dear would ever understand. I felt my eyes moisten as she recounted her story. 

"It's amazing how little people understand..." She agreed with me. They mean well, but they just don't know what to say. What do you say to one who lost a loved one? What does one even say to convey condolences and to share and let the other person know you share your grief? 

We bonded over our experiences, told one another how we have been coping and trying to move on. Exchanged tales of how the end, when the cancer is thriving and the person dying, the sight and suffering is the most painful and difficult to bear. 

In our brief exchange, we exchanged a degree of connection that is rare to be found, and so comforting for us

No comments: