21 February 2013

Email from the ex


Email from the ex

On my birthday, he wrote to me. Wishing me much peace and happiness, telling me how much he cares and wishes to be there for me.

Later in the afternoon, as I was sitting alone on the beach, he caught me on my phone. We videocammed, he played a birthday song with singing and dancing squirrels. He said happy birthday to me many many times. I was indifferent. This birthday is so meaningless. I said I wished someone were by my side to share it. I wished someone were here to hold my hand and show me how much they care.

My friend seemed to be making so much effort to reach me, to try to make me smile. I was not sure what to think. Here was someone who left me for someone else, who is still with someone else and continues to tell me how much he cares about and loves me.

 Perhaps that is all I will ever receive from him: love in this mysterious way that only he can understand, that is limited seemingly in words and repeated attempts to reach me and make me happy. Nothing more, nothing less, despite my wishes that we can one day be that strong, loving dynamic duo we once were and thought we would be for a long, long time to come...



No comments: