04 December 2012

The traveler

We met the first time a few days ago. I was at a restaurant, and he came in a bit later and sat across the room from me. We glanced at one another a few times, I think we both wanted to approach one another, but neither knew how. There were a few exchanges o smiles, and then we went our separate ways after our meals...

As I was leaving for my afternoon stroll, I saw him sitting at the cafe of our hotel. Yes, it was him, and he recognised me too. We smiled and got chatting. The sunset and beautiful scenery of the temple were postponed, and the more we got chatting eventually the afternoon plans were cancelled.

A Czech guy, tall, sweet and soft spoken with soft eyes, and a very relaxed vibe about him. He's been traveling around for almost a month now, and Bodh Gaya happens to be his last stop. Happens to be my stop too, and our dates overlapped and our paths crossed, if only by a few hours.

On the road, you meet the kindest and most interesting people. He's my age, works at a nice restaurant in Prague. He just wanted to get away for a while, find himself and discover more of the world. More or less my story too, in a way. And so here he is, here I am. Here we are...

We exchanged travel stories, quaint little things about India and Indians, about travelers' belly, about the crowded state of the train and annoying people who like to pester foreigners by asking tonnes of questions or asking for money. We talked about our lives, ambitions, perspectives on life, about Buddhism and meditation... It was refreshing to meet someone new and with so many similar interests. I now understand that movie Lost in Translation better: when two foreigners (at least in the eyes of the local population...) are thrown together in foreign country (at least in the eyes of the supposed foreigners...), there develops a common sense of shared anxiety, a way to compare and contrast notes, and a feeling that finally you've found someone who can understand you, and literally, speak your language.

We walked home together, we shook hands. He held it so tightly, as if he were savouring the touch. I did the same. The gates to my  hotel (or "guest house" as it is called here...) were already locked, though it was barely past ten.

"If you can't get in, I'm just next door, you can come by..." He said, smiling. Earlier he asked what I had planned for the evening. And this seemed to be another invitation (or maybe I'm reading too much into it...)

He let go of my hand, and stood there under the street light. He watched me as I walked into the courtyard of my "guest house", or so I felt.

I smiled. It's been so long I've been on a "date" with another guy, for over a year since the ex abruptly dumped me. And this evening felt like a refreshing beginning. I, if I may say so, am attentive, smart, and perhaps sweet, and I deserve to be loved and cared for in the simplest and most passionate way, with baggage, without complications, without holding back or hesitations. I deserve that. I need that. I can and am willing to give that to someone who can make me feel young and appreciated, feel like I mean something, like I am someone who matters, and not like I'm someone on the side.

  And tonight I was a step closer to knowing that I can have all that, if I were to let go of the past and an unhealthy relationship with my ex that is not just  friendship and not quiet a relationship. 

No comments: