20 June 2011

Lake Louise

 Sitting on a rock on the shores of Lake Louise, such beauty fills my heart. Gone, if only temporarily, are
the disturbing thoughts, fears and worries. All that is left is this moment, this stillness watching the majestic mountain stand before me, awe me with the ever changing colours of it's multiple layers of rock, stun me to silence with the serenity and magnificence of it's lofty peaks and jagged cliff edges.

Before me, stretched like a green mirror is the silent lake, quietly portraying the surroundings in a watery, waving reflection. I could sit here all day, just listen to the songs of birds, just watch and admire the countless spruce trees all crowded on the face of the mountain like skyscrapers in a  crowded metropolis. I could sit here all day, all night, and imagine the world as it is, as it was eons ago, imagine how little things have changed, or imagine how many times the sun has risen and fallen over the mountains. Before me, unspoiled nature, raw, welcoming, soothing like the warmth of a loved one's hands...

Mum left to retire for the night, and for a while we just sat quietly and admired it all in silence. This is a moment I've longed to give her. Peace, calm, and distance from the negative memories of her ailing health and of hospital wards. This silence, this emptiness of the mind, this utter beauty before our eyes that cannot be described, only experienced.

The setting sun cast a stream of golden light on the rocky face of the mountain patched with white unmelted snow. "All thanks to dad..." mum said quietly. I saw her wipe the corner of her eye.


All thanks to dad, who could not be here with us to enjoy this scenery, this tranquility.

But perhaps from up above, in the wavering, watery reflection of the blue, green lake dad could see us looking back at him.

No comments: