23 June 2011

In Banff

It was a rough night, and I slept badly due to the bad circulation in the room we were given. Though it's a luxury hotel, I could hardly believe it when at close to midnight I called the reception and was told that there is no air conditioning. The lady offered to come open the windows for me (as if I didn't know how to do that already...) and said they could bring up fans to keep the room cool.

So I slept and was only half awake at eight, and snoozed until eight twenty-five or so. I reluctantly got up, and took a look at our tour itinerary. And it was only then I realised: we have a tour of the area starting in five minutes!!!

I don't know why I had the impression it was supposed to be tomorrow, but I quickly got dressed and rushed out the door with mum. The little tour bus was already waiting, and the guide came out to greet us and lead us onboard, where seven other people were already waiting.

So together with (somewhat older) people from Australia and Scotland, we drove around and saw some of the sights here. The guide was a very pleasant and well-informed retired school teacher, and seeing that mum did not speak English too well, he would occasionally explain slower and more carefully so she could understand.

"So you're traveling together?" he asked at one point.

"Yes, she's my mother," I said.

"Mother? I thought it was your sister!" he said. And it wasn't one of those fake compliments, but he was genuinely surprised, and went on to comment how young and healthy mum looked. Mum was overjoyed, and for a few moments I could see she felt confident about herself and her condition. This was not the first time, as on the train up to here, two elderly ladies (both in their eighties, and still very much fit and healthy) also complimented her on her looks and youthful complexion. It really made her day, as later in the afternoon, she was still aglow from the compliment when she remembered what had happened earlier.

"Well, isn't that great, you taking your mum traveling," the guide said, "That's very special, and you're a special son for doing that." I blushed, and simply said "I try", as he went on to congratulate mum for having  a son like me. Just a few moments earlier, I received a message from a friend who, upon seeing pictures of mum and I paddling on the lake and traveling together, said he was very touched by what I am willing to do for my mother.

I didn't feel proud or anything like that by what my friend wrote or what the man said. Really, I just try, and if given the chance, I would try and try again to make mum feel happy and confident about her own well-being. I know myself I am at times too impatient, defensive and perhaps even verging on rude towards her, and I feel guilty afterwards for feeling or being that way, but for the most of it, I do try to make mum happy, just as I try to make people in my life happy however way I think I can.

With this long anticipated trip through the Rockies coming to an end, I feel mum can really look back and smile at the last six, seven days. If not by the entire experience, than perhaps by the memory of what that kind tour guide said to her to make her feel so special and youthful. When we said goodbye later in the day, he told her "Keep it up...!"

And I really she does keep it up, and continue to live young and happily, and live without fears or worry.

No comments: