31 March 2011

Brother's birthday

I called my brother today, the second time since we last saw one another around a month and a half ago. I wished him a happy birthday, and spoke to him for a while, asking him how he and my sister-in-law (and baby) are doing these days. Just a little catching up, and a sign that our relationship has improved much in recent times.

He sounded a bit down, as he is worried about the process of his wife immigrating to the Netherlands.  For the last decade or so, it has become notoriously difficult to immigrate to the Netherlands. The situation is so dire that  human rights organisations as well as the European Court of Justice have on several occasions  chastised the country for having an inhumane and excessively strict immigration policy-- a policy that has seen the imprisonment of children, the deportation of young girls to countries like Afghanistan, and forced separation of families and partners. According to the authorities, it is not enough that you are married to someone who is a legal resident or citizen of the Netherlands. You must demonstrate the ability to communicate in basic Dutch before you can even begin the process of applying for immigration. And being able to converse in Dutch does not automatically mean you are eligible. All sorts of papers have to be filled in, and a long waiting process is due before you can actually set foot in the country.
 
What does this all mean for my brother and his wife? The very likelihood of very long delays, bureaucratic hurdles as well as headaches for my brother and his wife, even if they fulfill all the necessary and legal requirements to immigrate.

I listened to brother's troubles, and tried to be helpful by saying that I'll try to do what I can to help if need be. I think he was touched by that, and we ended the conversation on a lighter note.

As I put down the phone, there was a warm fuzzy feeling inside. We are connecting on a whole new level, and that is heartwarming.

No comments: