19 February 2011

Emptying nest

"Take care of yourself," I said over the phone, as brother was heading to the airport, "If there is anything you need help with, just let me know." I was not there to see him off this morning. I had done that two days earlier, at the monastery, as he, mum and the new relatives were leaving to go home. I patted him on the shoulder, and we were both unsure when we would see one another again. Under pleasant circumstances, I hoped, and maybe he thought the same.

Perhaps in his mind, there too was a momentary thought, or fear, that the next time we see one another might suddenly and unexpectedly be in Taiwan... at a hospital... because of mum... What a dark, brooding, and useless thought. I shook my head to shake off the thought.

I arrived home this afternoon, because mum had said that she was feeling nauseous, and had been vomiting and having diarrhea the whole day yesterday. She told me to stay at the monastery, but I decided to go home earlier, partly because I was a bit worried what she may have caught, and partly I wanted to spend more time with her before I leave in six days' time.

I came home, and the house looked emptier. Brother and sister-in-law's suitcases have gone. The bridal suite is now just a spare room, one I had not entered for around a month. It feels quieter too, with just mum and I. Mum looked relieved as she cleaned the house up a bit. It's not that she's rejoicing their departure. But really, a month or so with four people in a small apartment can be a little too much.

I cleaned up a bit too, and started packing my bags a little. The house looks emptier now, feels quieter too. Imagine what it would like when I leave...

No comments: