22 July 2010

Postscript...



It's been almost a week my "meeting" with the guy online, and neither of us have written to one another. I'm not planning to, despite the pity I felt for him afterwards... but some things were said during our meeting that were really offensive, that made me want to just walk away and leave, but I didn't.

I stayed around till the end, and we parted company as we reached the metro station in the pouring rain. There were personaly remarks, racist remarks, unpleasant things that made me feel stupid and unwanted. Maybe he said those things because he could not help himself, because he does not have the understanding of social etiquette to know that you cannot say such hurtful things in front of people and out loud.

I dismissed those comments, thinking that it must be a condition of his autism. I know that people with his condition are born thinking and feeling every bit superior to everyone else, and that everyone else is a failure or not worthy of talking to (he said it himself, called his friends and classmates "stupid", ignorant, and lamented that they cannot see things as he sees them). I forgave him and pretended I did not hear it all.

I do sometimes think of contacting him, even now, but I'm not sure what for. Perhaps out of pity? Perhaps out of guilt? Perhaps to convince myself that I am not a heartless monster who turns away from people who are difficult to deal with? Perhaps because I made his first "meeting" with a stranger a complete failure? But I don't even know his real name, he never wanted to let me know. And he never initiated a conversation, asked me questions or take interest in what I do (except only after I asked him to ask me some questions...)

All I can do, I guess, is wish the best for him... and hope that he will find the friend he is looking for, find the "someone like me" he is searching for.

No comments: