30 July 2010

Dating

Maybe I'm just naive when it comes to it all. Meeting, going out, getting to someone who is at first a complete stranger in the hope of perhaps meeting the special someone I've been looking for. I don't know any of the "dating etiquettes", like what to wear, what to say, what to talk about and what to avoid. And much less do I know when to call/write back or what exactly to write back if I do write back. Maybe that's the reason I'm still alone, and have been alone for the past five years or so.

Just chatting with friends I do get a sense that I have a very different approach to dating. A lot of people meet someone online, exchange a few words and invite them over for a "movie". More often than not it turns out to be much more than just that, but also not more than just "that". And then on to the next one.

There's nothing wrong with that kind of dating, in fact just thinking about it all is very (s)exciting. But somehow that is just not what I want, just not how I operate. I don't know if it's my naivete driving me to look for something deeper and more "meaningful" than just sex. Maybe it's that day-dreamy and fantasy-driven part of me that longs for something "more". I do know I can't just meet someone, strip naked and have "fun", and leave at the end of the night without feeling some kind of remorse toward the other person or towards myself...

So I move on, ever in search for the 'perfect' (if there is such a thing) guy. But in fact, when I stop and think about, I'm not even sure what I'm looking for exactly... what is it that attracts me? That makes me think or imagine that there could be something between us? I'm not sure...

As unsure as I am about the rules, faux-pas and musts of dating.

No comments: