02 February 2009

On the bus to Puli

Just left Kaoshiung, after a quick one day visit and stay at uncle Alan’s place. It was nice to see them all again, especially the children. We went to Pintung yesterday, to the Great Peng Bay area, which is an island salt-water lake. As we rode the boat, we watched white cranes fly and soar behind us, in flocks like white shadows trailing in the foaming path of the boat. It was a magnificent sight, and very calming to ride on the waves, together with mum and brother, and uncle’s family.

The children… they’ve really grown a lot, and both are almost as tall as I am. The older one, Iain, has a deeper voice now, an is as shy as before. Perhaps he’s just getting used to his new voice, and he hides his mouth behind his hands a lot. Behind his hands I can see him smile and snigger sometimes. I wonder what he is thinking behind those smiles.

We walked together to the railway station this morning. And only in own brief moments alone did I learn that he may be moving to Canada as soon as this summer. In a way, I am happy for him. But on the other hand I also can sort of feel the anxiety, and perhaps fear, of leaving home, and about to be away from family and friends. It’s not yet sure where he will go, or where he will study. But there is a likely chance that he may go to Montreal. When asked where he’d like to be, given the choice of Vancouver and environs, he said why not stay with me. I feel humbled that he’s think of me, and want to be with me. But then again, I wonder whether we’d get along, and how life with be with a teenager who’s about to go through the confusing period of puberty and getting to know himself. Will I be able to guide him, be there for him, help him and support him when he needs it the most? Will I be able to cope with his psychological developments, his initial feelings of isolation and estrangement when he first arrives? I’m not sure. And, perhaps things will not turn out that way

No comments: