03 December 2008

24 hours


Until now I've never done an exam that lasts 24hours. But I will be doing one this time tomorrow.

Not that the exam takes 24hours to complete, but we're given 24hours to complete it. And from what I heard, some people do take close to that whole time to do the exam. Perfectionists perhaps.

I just hope I can complete it in a few hours, and move on to the rest of my studying and maybe even start on the one assignment that I have pending. It's been almost over a year since I last did an exam, and I'm feeling the pre-exam stress / excitement / mix of indescribable feelings that swing between anxiety and euphoria flow all over me. Two weeks, three exams. It should be doable, since I've experienced much worse before.

But then again, this will be the first time for me to do an exam here in Canada. I'm not even sure what the professors are expecting... and I must do well, since each exam is 100% of my grade!
There's another reason why I feel under pressure. I must do well to prove that I'm worth the money the university is giving me to study here... how embarrasing it would be to be given a scholarship based on academic merit, when it turns out I'm no better (or worse...) than an average student....

There is also another reason, one that's been bothering me, or perhaps lingering around ever since I set foot in this new environment, ever since I started my studies... Dad would have wanted to see me do well, and he would have been so proud of me to be going abroad to study, and to do so with such a generous scholarship. He never lived to hear the news, or share the joy... and I feel I owe this much to him.

And much, much more.

No comments: