10 October 2007

Protest!


I guess if there's one thing I can do, it's to write.

So I decided to write a protest email to my direct boss(es), and tell them how I feel about the sudden drop in my salary that they are offering me in this contract I received.

I was very clear and blunt. A promise is a promise, and you don't just suddenly break your promise because you change your mind. And you certainly don't do it if you make a promise that creates (false) expectations on the side of the other party. I mean, I'm working for the law faculty for pete's sake! They should know this better than anyone else!

I laid down the facts... that there was an agreement made before, and that it had been approved and known to the head of the department that they'd be paying me this X amount. That was the basis I accepted to work here, and also the reasons why I willingly turned down offers to work at excellent positions at two international courts! And they know that I turned down those opportunities, because I told them very clearly back in August about that.

And I also mentioned that I'm not at all obliged to stay working for them. In fact, I can pack my things and leave tomorrow, because I've not signed a contract yet. My previous contract as a student assistant during the summer ended in September already, and this new one that came through the mail was an extension and change of terms. Who would have thought they only increased my salary by EUR100 per month compared to that of a student assistant! I mean I've got a degree, and just about to complete another one! I've got experience, and I'm not stupid or incompetent (at least I don't think so, anymore....)! So, in very diplomatic language, I told them to either deal with the situation, or else go find someone else who will work for minimum wage.

The choice is theirs.

No comments: