15 August 2007

"Am I competent enough?"


"Am I competent enough?" I asked, for the second time.
And my boss said yes. "Why not? You have a master's degree in law... well, almost!"
We were just talking, about work, and suddenly out of the blue she made an offer. I was totally surprised and of course excited. But being the very insecure person I am, the first question I asked (after thanking her of course...) was whether I'm competent enough. She quickly reassured me, and told me of all the good work I've been doing at the office. I just couldn't believe the whole suggestion and offer, because it seemed so surreal... but it certainly helps a lot to build my confidence to know that people see me in a positive way, and believe in what I am capable of...

Funny... just as I was worrying and wondering till my head hurt about what I want to do next (see last entry!!!), a sudden job offer came! It's to basically stay on working at the university, and be the manager to organise the big international law competition I've been helping out with for the past year for free. But of course, the job offer is paid! I was so excited and very happy, and smiling the whole way home that I almost got hit by a van (partly also that driver's fault for driving and turning so fast in a small lane).

At this point nothing is certain yet, and my boss has to have the suggestion approved by the big(ger) boss. Though, without being overly confident, I suspect the chances are good for me. They really need to find someone ASAP to take over the office I'm manning during the summer period, because I officially finish work at the end of the month. To get the whole organisation (and it's a LOT of work!!) of the competition going by September, they will need to look for people with experience and background within two, three weeks. Which is going to be very difficult. And I guess after having worked at the office for almost a year, I know many of the ins and outs of how to run everything... and plus I know the people there too. And I think they like me... and like the way I work and do things so quickly and efficiently...

Nothing is certain yet, and anything could change... But imagine the possibilities, and what that would do to cut my worries about finances and being unemployed....!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YES, you are complete enough !!!

I've sent you an e-mail explaining this comment.


Yours, Marco