03 August 2007

Fireworks





The moon hung low on the horizon, almost sinking. Its face was swollen red, and half hidden in darkened shame.

I picked up some sand, and felt it between my fingers. Deciding it was dry enough, I gently sat myself down. As always, in a shy and isolated part of the beach, away from the crowd. But it actually offered the best view, as the barge drifted in the calm, calm sea to a position just directly in front of me. Most people somehow had the impression the fireworks were going to be on the other side of the pier.

It was empty, and there was a slight chill as the last light of day set. I sat there, cross-legged and let the sea breeze and sounds wash over me. Out of nowhere, a meteor shot across the sky... and vanished as soon as it appeared. A premonition of the show ahead, perhaps.

The anticipation was suspenseful, as the hands of my watch inched towards 11. Last week had been a big disappointment, as I arrived only to be told storm-like winds blew off the fireworks display. Just then, floodlights on the promenade unexpectedly dimmed, and the beach, normally so busy, loud and bright, seemed to suddenly silense.

A golden stream noiselessly soared into the sky. And exploded sending a loud bang echoing across the waves and the beach and countless sparks spiraling down to earth. More streams followed, and the fireworks display got underway.

For the next twenty minutes or so, I sat there awed and inspired by the dazzling colours and bangs, flashes and sparkles that at times seemed to bright the sky as light as day.The explosions were deafening, and the sound of the crowd cheering excitedly in the distance mingled with the cries of frightened babies. One by one, as each firework shot upwards and lived their short-existence, I could almost feel a rush through my veins, wanting even more, even bigger, even higher, hoping the next would over shadow the last. Huge balls of red, green and purple imploded in the sky, and sent thousands of golden stardust falling like rain into the sea that reflected it all like a mirror below.

Breathtaking ...More pictures here.

No comments: