14 July 2007

Alles goed?




I stood on the edge, where the land met the sea.
Or where the sea met the land.
It didn't matter.

I could feel the waves, the way they hushedly caressed the shore, shattering into clouds of white confusion on the rocks. The sky was dark, dark blue, and red on the horizon where the sky and sea were sown together. Thoughts of the day were silenced by the sounds of the sea, and a weight lifted as I sighed.

I admired the tides, the way they spread like sheets of transparent glass, and wondered about the long, long way they had traveled to crash and break at my feet. A day was dying, and another was being born. I turned my back against the world, and its mumbled noises and troubles in the distance. There was a gentle breeze, and I listened as if it was trying to say something in my ears. Seagulls shrieked as they played catch on the surface of the sea.

Suddenly there was a flash of light my way. At first I thought it was the lighthouse in the distance, but it became brighter and brighter, and seem to be moving closer and closer I turned to see a white jeep head my way. Disturbed by the sudden intrusion into my temporary world of peace and fantasy, I shifted my feet a little. I stared out to sea again, hoping it would all go away.

The car pulled up next to me and stopped. The engine roared and shuddered the ground I stood on. I turned my back on it, still hoping it would all go away. Then the person honked, and made me turn.

"Alles goed?" Only then did I realise it was the police.

"... Yeah," I said.

As if he didn't seem convinced, he asked again, "Everything alright?"

"Yeah, fine. I don't have any tendencies..." If that's what you mean. Life's too beautiful... the world's too beautiful to do anything rash. "Just watching the sea..."

He nodded, but didn't leave immediately. I turned to the sea again, to the open sea that didn't judge me, that didn't intimidate me or intrude into what I was doing and why I was doing it.
But I could still feel the policeman watching, watching and watching.

I heard the jeep slowly pull away, as the unwanted spotlight on me slowly faded. And as if nothing had happened, there was just a boy, a darkening sky, and the broad, broad sea.

No comments: