21 February 2007

Birthday

I received a lot of calls, and messages, and emails and ecards from friends and colleagues. It was touching to receive so many expressions and wishes. To be honest, at times I felt a little flustered and wondered what I ever did to deserve the wishes and gestures from so many people.

Actually, nobody in the family remembered it was my birthday, until my mum saw the date this morning and realised what day it was. It’s not that I love to be noticed and to be the centre of attention, but it’s nice to feel just a little special, and as if you could do anything you want because it's your birthday, if only for one day in a year. After realising it was my birthday, they secretly bought a cake while I was out, and hid it until late in the evening.

I laughed the moment I saw the big ‘24’ candles on the cake, and joked that they were really planning ahead. To me it didn’t really matter that they didn’t remember or got the year wrong, but, as they say, it’s really the thought that counts.

To everyone who wrote to me offering support when I was upset, and offering me the best of wishes for my birthday, thank you.

I’m sorry that I can’t write back personally to thank you at the moment… trying to spend as much time as possible with my parents while they’re still here, tonnes of school work to be done and with the part time job(s), I really don’t have much time to answer emails.

But I want you to know, I really appreciate every single word and the time everyone one of you took to remember me, and make me feel special.

Thank you! :)

No comments: