12 February 2007

Birthday trip!


Just sort out details for a trip I'll be taking next week to a far, far away and exotic land known as Belgium.

Sometime ago my professor sent us invites to attend this three day seminar on international humanitarian law, organise by the International Committee of the Red Cross and the prestigeous College of Europe.

I've always wanted to know more about international humanitarian law, or, ironically it's called the 'laws of war'. It basically deals with the rules and regulations that govern the coduct of warfare, like what weapons are allowed, the protection of civilians etc, and is a fascinating, if not very current topic. Most likely I'll base my thesis on this field of international law, so the more I know the better.

It'll be in Brugge (Bruges), an amazingly beautiful town in eastern Flanders, and initially a bunch of my classmates were supposed to come too. We were supposed to go and enjoy the wonderful Belgium beers, chocolates, and 'vlaamse frites' (Belgium fries!)... but then they all cancelled at the last minute because frankly next week is a horrible week to take a trip. Which also means I'll most likely spend birthday alone, again : /

But I can't blame them. Hundreds of pages of reading, and two paper deadlines. It's a LOT of work. And since we have this ridiculous rule (more suited for primary school children than master students I think!!!) that if you miss more than one class, you are no longer qualified for the course, I basically have to leave right after class Monday afternoon, attend the three day seminar, and rush back Thursday night in order to get to class Friday morning. And to manage all the deadlines and reading, I've basically been working day and late to get everything finished.

It wasn't easy to make the accomodation arrangements. I searched online for a cheap hostel to stay in, and I entered the credit card details and pressed "confirm". All I wanted was a simple single room, and there was a bargain for around €75 for three nights at this place with great reviews... but no, somehow I ended up with four rooms costing over €250, and not even at a hostel near where I intended to stay! Crazy how online transactions work...

Hectic, tiring, and I know I'll be taking my fun-filled books with me on the train, but I hope it's worth the effort.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All seems a bit overwhelming, but still kind of fun!

I'm confident you'll manage, looks like you always have. (:

*Hugs* Can always write if there's something on your mind though.

Enjoy the trip!