16 December 2006

Seven days and counting...


Finally managed to more or less clear away the papers that needed to be finished this term start start studying. Thursday morning, 9am, big exam in Public International Law. I really want to do well in this, because frankly if I don't then it means I'm enrolled in the wrong study. There's a chance to do a resit in March, but I've never ever done a resit in my whole life, and I don't want to start now.

So, around four days of time, diminishing every moment to study. One notebook full of notes, around 500 pages of judgements, a dozen of so articles each around 30 pages long... and not to mention the thick 700 page recommended reading.

Started studying after working for hours in the cold and damp today. Ironically when I got home from work it stopped raining, and the clouds cleared. Enticing as it was to go for a walk, I sat down and read and read. I have this habit of needing to have a pen in hand while I read, ready to jot down anything that may be relevant or important. Most of the notes are illegible and will get thrown out as soon as I finish with the exam. But somehow I find it easier to remember things when I write them down.

Radio playing Christmas songs softly in the background, a large cup of hot tea, and unlimited supplies of chocolate bars and cookies in the cupboard. That's my way. It's worked all these years, so I hope it'll do the same trick, and deliver good results.

As far as today's studying is concerned, it was pretty productive. And re-reading notes and texts again I really could understand and get more of an overview of what we've been doing all this time. Sort of gives a sense of satisfaction when after an hour or so at the desk you leave to take a break and know that you know something.

Four days and counting till the big exam. Seven days and counting till I leave home for Christmas. Funny, while other people seem to be going home, I'm actually doing the opposite. Got an invitation earlier in the week from my single-mum friend to spend Christmas in France. My jumped at the opportunity. I've actually been planning to do so, but wasn't sure whether she'd be available. And now I'll get to spend Christmas with her and her little baby boy. Really looking forward to that.

But first, a couple days of sleeplessness and stress.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*Hugs*

Best of luck with your exams, reading how you're preparing I'm sure you'll do great.

And have a good time in France! I'll uh .. spend Christmas with myself!