28 August 2006

New 'job'!


The last couple of days I've been preparing for this 'interview'. Read about it last week online about this great position at the Telders Organisation Office. Basically the office organises an international moot court in the International Court of Justice (ICJ) every year, and is participated and attended by students, academics and real international law judges. Teams from all over Europe are given a fictional situation which they have to argue and defend to the best of their abilities.

I went there a little anxious, not knowing what to expect. Dressed in a smart light blue shirt, navy blue trousers. I guessed I looked good. And it turned out to be quiet informal. Two ladies 'interviewed' me, and were already thoroughly impressed by my CV and experiences. I soon relaxed, and it was more like chatting to friends you've just met, with a bit of exchanging information about my past and what it is I'll be involved in. I've organised a big international conference before, almost completely by myself as an intern at Leiden University last year. And that went very well. The lady interviewers said that would prove useful in my new role.

There were two embarrasing moments was though. At one point one of them asked quite ambiguously "How's your finance?" I hesistated a little, thinking why they'd want to know about my 'finance', but then went on to talk anyway about my part-time job and how I'm about to receive the government grant for my studies. They both started laughing at the misunderstanding. The lady meant how I am with finance, ie how good I am dealing with numbers and budgeting and compiling financial reports! Made a fool of myself there, but we laughed it off.

The other embarrasing moment was when one of the ladies, who happens to be French-Canadian, asked me about me living in the 'egg'. I was like "I'm sorry, me living in the egg?" See, problem with French-speaking people is they don't pronounce the 'h', and what she really meant was the city 'The HAGUE", where I do live! Again made a fool of myself, but we laughed it off all the same.

In the end, I got the part : )

No comments: