06 May 2006

Abort, abort, abort.

Another issue I've been 'dying' (unwise choice of words, as you'll see)
to write about, but could not on my regular blog.

So I just returned from visiting my friend, who unexpectedly became pregnant and did not realise before it was too late. She decided to have the baby, despite many doubts and tormeted sleepless nights and days thinking about it. Eventually the thought of removing (thereby killing) an alive and wriggling being inside of her, which by the time she discovered she was pregnant was the already clearly visible on the echograph, was simply too much.

To my surprise I was just told by my brother's girlfriend that her period is 'late' and has tested 'positive' for pregnancy on more than one occassion. My brother didn't have the courage to tell me himself. I suspected something was 'up' for a few days, since both their behaviours were 'unusual'. And his girlfriend one evening just said she couldn't bear to hide it any more.

OK, it seems like unwanted pregnancies seem to have become the norm these days. In two months I've come across four people who are confronted with the situation. In my brother and his girlfriend's case even protection didn't do the protecting it was supposed to. Well, they did expressly state that it's only 99.9% safe...

There's not much choice except to abort. But I am a little surprised, so far, how easy both of them are taking this whole issue. Admittedly, his girlfriend is in no position to have this baby, financially and physically. And if she did, it'd probabaly be scandalous and defeat the whole purpose of her stay here, which is to study. She's my age, and perhaps it's a little too young to bring up another child, when you yourself are still in the process of being brought up.

But the way they talk about it, it were as if it were the easiest thing. There doesn't seem to be any struggle on the conscience, or at least not that I can sense. Perhaps the effects will soon dawn on her, who knows. To be fair, she did mention that it would make her and my brother both 'murderers'...but there's no other choice.

And the other ridiculous thing is that my brother wants me to go with her to the clinic when it needs to be done. He says he doesn't want to miss work, since it'll be the first week so he doesn't want to leave a bad impression.

I mean, HELLO?!?!?! What is that?! I told him outright no, I will not go! I told him he is the one responsible, so he deal with it. How insensitive to not want to accompany his own girlfriend through something as 'big' and significant as this?

I can't understand it.
Well, perhaps like my brother's girlfriend joked the other day, I'd never have to worry about this, since I don't have a girlfriend.

And I never will.

No comments: