03 July 2015

After five days in Australia


Australia, over the past five days or so, has been great. The people are super nice, approachable, welcoming (and Aussie boys are so hot...!), and the general atmosphere is just very pleasant. I'm so fortunate to have been asked to come here, and glad, despite the initial fear and reluctance at speaking in public, it has been such a plesant experience. The teachers came up to me today, and told me what a superb teacher I am, honestly. Lack of confidence? Nonesense! They seemed to love my lectures and found them engaging and stimulating , and said that (somehow) there is a lot of thought and structure put into it. What a boost of confidence that made me blush...
Right now, in a two storey building from the 1970s or so, in the middle of really nowhere, in a town called Woomera- the Roswell of Australia. because of this course I was invited to take part in, I have the unique opportunity to take part in a tour to the prohibited zone where weapons and secret technologies are being tested. In the earlier years, 1950-80s, this was the site of ultra secretive installations for space monitoring and satellite control, a collaborative effort between western countries.
The landscape is just barren, the outback, the bush, that expands for as far as the eye can see... Scorched , parched red earth that is so hostile to life and that holds only low bushes and shrubs. A territory that stretches larger than much of continental Europe...
This is barren earth, this is undiscovered country that is untamed and wild, and presents opportunities abound for a new future...
Would I want to move here? Start a new life here?

Quandong

Mango chutney

Chilly sauce

No comments: