23 March 2014

22 March 2014

The crackdown....
It has begun.

The "president" came on tv yesterday and announced his resolve not to back down. He refused to talk to students or protesters. He insisted he has the nation's future and best interests at heart.

Today, hours ago, protesters stormed the Executive yuan (executive body). Armed police, for days they stood by,  started to beat protesters. With batons and shields. There are bloody images of beaten students and protesters. People have been taken to hospital. 
I
t's gruelsome. It's unbelievable.

It's a dark, dark day for Taiwan.

When was the last time police beat people? Why does it remind people of oppression in the 1980s, during the era of martial law?

Why does it conjur up what my aunt told me when, during her childhood, she saw people taken away... saw blood flow like river?

I am shaken by events unfolding in Taiwan. My homeland. My one last love.
To watch a loved one slowly drift away is so painful. To watch a loved one rot from within makes you so helpless.

God bless my nation... God protect the people from tyranny and oppression and brutality.

No comments: