17 April 2011

Dad's pillow case

I was cleaning up the recently evacuated spare room, and on the bookshelf I saw a box I've not seen or touched for many months.

It's a box with inside a light green pillow case, the very pillow case dad had slept on just before he passed away. I opened it, and gave it a sniff... That scent, is it still as I remember it, that smell I have when my hair is a little greasy having not washed it for a day or two? Or perhaps my longing and missing is playing tricks on my memory and smell sensation...

I peeked inside the box, but dared not open the wrapping around the pillow case. I'm afraid to see the strands of hair dad lost, afraid to see a blood stain he made in those final days...

Quietly I put the box away, till another day when I feel up to opening it, and opening up my memories...

No comments: