06 March 2010

Me next

We rode to the airport together. Brother checked in, and I stood on the side taking pictures. After a few shots, I didn't feel like taking pictures anymore.

They hugged, and I could see brother's eyes moisten and narrow. I hugged him took, and felt a strong, tight embrace back. "Take care," he said, "And finish the chemo treatments". It was then that I could see he cares, deep down, even though he does not say it, does not know how to show it.
Mum accompanied brother only part of the way, and brother walked to the customs area alone. Too difficult, she said later. Besides, one has to say goodbye at some time, at some point...

I stared out the window on the way back home. The bright lights of the city flashed by quickly. I grew pensive. It will soon be me next.

No comments: