30 March 2010

Brother's friend

My brother met this friend back in February, and they have been in touch with one another almost daily. She's quite a nice person, and when she found out that mum's doing chemo, she offered to go see her and take her out to the countryside. And today she even went to see my mum after working, which I think is really caring and kind.

Mum's been doing ok since she came out of meditation a few days ago. She said she felt much better, at least her mind is calmer and she is more at peace with herself. Even so, she said her hair has really begun to fall, and it looks pretty bad now. What makes her feel worse is the fact that whenever she gently grabs her hair, more hair comes off. So much so that the ground is littered with hair that she has to vacuum often. I can't imagine what that must feel like... what an injury to personal dignity it must be to lose the hair that you take for granted every single day, for often it is the hair that makes and defines the person. And I am no longer there to secretly hide or sweep the hair away...

So yesterday mum finally went to get herself a wig to wear. I'm not sure what kind of wig she got, or whether it was from the shop I went to together with her. She said it takes some getting used to, so she's trying it on before she does lose everything. "It feels like putting on a hat", she said on the phone. And later my brother's friend who had gone to see my mum said that mum looked "cute" with the new hairdo.

Tomorrow mum will continue with the chemo again... the unbearable treatment and sickening aftereffects start again...

No comments: