30 May 2009

By the lake


Fate should have it that I would spend an hour sitting by Lac Leland silently meditating. Some erroneous booking meant that mum and I could spend one more day away, and Evian we decided to go and stay for the extra night. While mum did her message, I wandered down the bay, and found a quite crop of rocks by the shore and sat.

For perhaps the first time ever, I striped to only my jeans, and was naked on top. I wanted to capture some of the sun, and receive the healthy vitamins that people often speak of. At first I was alert, constantly aware of the waves, the sounds, the dampness from the sprinkles of water that splashed against the rocks, bothered by the humming of planes overhead or boats speeding past. It took a while before I could sit there, close my eyes and observe my breath, my feelings, my emotions and thoughts. It was not for long, but it was the first time in a long time that I could sit down and calm myself, collect myself and try to be at ease and rest.

In the distance, a few guys lay sunbathing. I could not but look and wonder, at times even fantasise about their bonds and that sense of friendship, just guys at the beach, half-naked in the sun in a romantic setting. Swans swam by, sometimes really close by that I was awakened by the sound of their feet splashes against the water. They looked at me, and made me wonder whether the temporarily calm and solitude I had managed to recover was the source of their attraction. Or perhaps they were just looking for food…

Such tranquillity, if only temporarily, of me and the waves, the sound of the waves, and the warmth of the early Summer sun. If only I could bring those moments with me wherever I go, and be with such tranquillity and calm wherever I am.

No comments: