25 May 2009

After the storm


Kitty fled, hid and eyed out of the window at the flashing lightning. A violent and thunderous storm invaded the land, unleashing torrents of rain, deafening echoes through dense, dark clouds the whole night long. I remember waking up at various instances, only to fall asleep in a dreamlike state of mind amid the din and the terrible flashes of light. I thought to myself how others in the house must have slept…

In the morning, mum told me that she dreamt of dad. A strange dream, of him coming to her, and resting his head on her shoulder. She felt her shoulder heavy and sore in the morning, but this feeling of having someone rest his head on her shoulder is nostalgic, refreshing and brought back memories. Dad used to do that, she said, but it’s been a long, long time. She said she felt comforted seeing dad the same way, in his old self, as if nothing had changed. Moreover, it was comforting to have someone rest his head on her shoulder… it’s the comfort and protection that you seek when you come home at night… now that’s all gone. I tried to recreate that feeling, but I knew I could not…

No comments: