12 November 2008

Speed date


I've never been speeddating before. Until tonight.

Hesistant, I was, before entering the bar. I felt self conscious, and wondered what I would say to people. It was a nervous moment. Thankfully I had dragged a friend along, so I was at least not alone.

Eight o'clock came, and the bar crowded. All these strangers I did not know, except for a few I've met before from our weekly discussion group. Sat down, and were handed a piece of paper and a number. An empty table, which but the end of the evening, if you're lucky, you should have filled with people you've spoken to, and marked whether you want to date them or just be friends with.

Then the musical chairs game began. Every two minutes or so, you move around the bar, looking for someone interesting to sit down with and strike up a conversation.

I moved around, self-consciously, unsure if I could sit down. In total I met around four or five. They were so vague I don't even remember their names or who they were. Most were not interesting... simply just not my type. Too femme, too much of the stereotypical fashion-craving, shallow types that I just have little to say to. I felt like a geek, and old too, since most were undergrad first years who had just gotten out of the countryside, and were ready to party.

I left early, together with two friends, who found it too hot in the bar. But I suspect they found it as stiffling and stuffy as I did, so were bored, and wanted to leave. It was good, to leave, not alone, but with the same people I had originally come with. Then you know who true friends are.... even after having met these strangers for just a minute or two.

I guess that's why they call it speed dating. But where's the depth?

No comments: