29 September 2008

Homecoming

Mum arrived two days ago, ending her 10 day trip to cities and places in Canada and the US here in Montreal. I picked her up at the airport, and together we rode home.

It was the first time for her to see my new place, and I had cleaned the apartment up the night before, making sure that it would leave a good impression. One thing about mothers is that they worry a lot about their children, and I knew this well. So everything had to be perfect.

And... mum did like my apartment, and she was happy that finally I have 'founded' a home of my own, and that I have a place to come back to at the end of a long day at school, and not feel confined to stay in my own room. She like the spacing and the brightness of the room, and despite having a few things to say about how my table and bed has been arranged (according to 'feng shui'), I am sure she likes it. So I passed the test.

But mum, I guess like all caring and loving mothers, still insisted in moving some furniture around, rearranging the cupboards, and giving the floor a good wipe. "So that when I leave here I know that you will have a safe and clean environment, and a good home to come back to", she said as she mopped the floor with her own hands.

I had saved a number of things till mum got here, such as use my new rice cooker, and my new set of plates and bowls. And just evening, we had a sumptuos home cooked meal together. It felt so homely, and for the first time since moving in here, I was not eating together with my laptop... though, the laptop was there too, playing smooth classical music.

Earlier, we walked around town a bit, and I showed her my university, even managing to climb up that steep street all the way to my institute. And I showed her how convenient my place is, located within walking distance to a huge forest, and also a huge shopping complex. All the while, slowly the trees donned on their yellow and red coats, and the leaves fell with the slight wind.

Tomorrow, I'm heading back to Europe for a few days with mum.

No comments: