30 August 2008

Home again



I spread out my arms, and felt like I was soaring! High, flying adored, on my bike I have missed much in the past two months. The sea fell on my lips, and air wafted through my hair. A kind of freedom and relief rarely felt, yet whenever felt rejuvenates. Speed flew past my ears with the wind, as I pedalled swiftly through the night. A cool breeze, a starry night, the night before my last day in the Netherlands.

It felt a bit strange to be home again, even stranger with the knowledge that within the next 24 hours I will be packing up and leaving again. Home had somehow become a sort of stop-over, between one destination and another, from one place in life to another. Ironic, since home is supposed to be a place you return to after a long journey and rest. But there is no rest for me, not now.

My cat greeted me at the door as I entered. She sat and watched me, turned her head sideways, adorably as if to say that she recognised me, but that it has been much too long. Yet, the two months in Barcelona was just the beginning. Coming Monday will be the start of a new era in my life, a real move out of the house I have been living in, or at least been going back to, for the past ten years.

It is with strange feelings that I now sit in my own room, knowing that the day after tomorrow this room will no longer be my room, but just a room like so many I have, or am about to, grace.


No comments: