20 February 2008

20 February

Mum was discharged from the hospital yesterday, after having spent three days almost constantly in bed with a tube buried inside her left right shoulder. She says she feels alright, and that her digestion is more or less normal. But this morning when I was cooking in the kitchen, she came in and as soon as she smelt a pot of soup, her stomach became upset, and she started to choke from vomit.

After chemo-therapy, the patient normally has an aversion to food. My dad would feel sick at the thought of food, and told my mum not to even mention that word. Luckily, my mum can still eat a little and has not thrown up yet. Mum did say that she feels her heart is pounding, and that her blood pressure level may be really high, as predicted by the doctors. I squeezed fresh grapefruit and mixed it with Yakult, and she drank a two big glassfuls. My auntie, the youngest sister of my mum, has also been staying with us for the last two weeks, and has been preparing lots of delicious and nutricious foods to make her body strong and balanced.

I looked at my mum carefully today, as she lay in bed to rest, and I noticed... noticed the saggy, eyes, and the darkened and wrinkled eye lids. There was a tiredness in those eyes I never saw before, even though she still spoke clearly about everyday things and details of my dad's funeral plans as if she did not undergo any excruciating treatment.

No comments: