11 November 2007

Stroll


The tree tops were crowned with the sun, and the golden dusk rays streamed through the forest floors. It was the kind of cold that made your nose water, but thankfully I was wrapped warmly in a thick jumper and my own admiration of the beauty of Autumn around me.

Suddenly a middle-aged man cycled past me, very, very slowly, the scent of his smelly cigar lingering in the air, chocking my nostrils. My Rat senses smelled danger, and I realised why. Almost two hours of wandering around in the woods, my footsteps unconsciously took me into the notorious ‘cruising’ area south of Haagse Bos, along the highway N44. In the Netherlands (and elsewhere), the phenomenon of ‘homo-ontmoetingsplaats’ (‘gay meeting place’, or HOP in Dutch) has resulted in public areas like parks, nature reserves, parking lots and beaches becoming unofficial places where men, homosexual or otherwise, meet to have anonymous no-strings-attached sex for fun (or otherwise). There are even websites dedicated to locating these places, as well as giving you tips on how best to ‘cruise’. Police usually turn a blind eye to what happens in these places, even if it happens just down the road from the Queen’s official residence… even if kids playing football may run the risk of innocently and unexpectedly catch people ‘having a ball’ behind the bushes. Common nuisances include noise (it can get noisy…), pollution (used condoms and tissues…), and even violence, as gay-bashers increasing prowl these areas for victims.


Anyways, my Rat senses told me to get out of the area, and fast! Not only was the man on the bike turning around and looking at me, another guy appeared out of nowhere behind a tree. Thankfully they were all some distance away, and I avoided eye contact to avoid giving them the impression I’d in any way be interested in their sleazy sexcapades. I quickened my pace, and just looked like I was minding my own business. Fallen leaves rustled beneath my feet, and the barely naked trees overhead swayed in the breeze. I didn’t dare look back, for if I’d done that, I’m pretty sure the two behind me would have followed.

Through the dense forest, I could hear the sound of cars rushing by. Thank goodness I was out of the forest, out in the open.

So much for a peaceful and relaxing stroll in the woods.


No comments: