28 June 2007

UN jeep

(picture from http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/blog/blogimages/un-jeep.jpg)


They're remarkably easily recognisable... an open-top jeep painted pure white, with a bold black 'U' and an 'N' imprinted on its doors. And inside, brave soldiers peace-keepers with funny blue up-side down nests on their heads. You've seen them in buzzing busily to and fro in conflict zones, refugee camps and wherever or whenever the UN has gotten its act togther to act...

So I thought I was imagining things as I was strolling down my street this evening. At first I heard the rumbling of loud engines, and there it was... an UN jeep cruising lazily down my street. A vision in white, with two bright blue dots inside the vehicle, catching the eye. The soldiers

Surreal... bizzare... a precious photo moment, if only I had my camera with me at the time. Right here, in the middle of a peaceful neighbourhood where the only on-going conflict is between warring factions of cats, and where the only current humanitarian crisis seems to be water puddles here and there from the flood of rain, an UN jeep.

In my mind I could only think, if those blue-helmets were heading for Darfur, they still have a long, long way to go.

No comments: