14 June 2007

Rain, rain, rain

Sitting at my office, watching the raindrops splash and splattered on the roof window. There's a loud sounding echo, as drops as large as a golf ball continue to pound down. The radio that was playing in the background drowned in the noise.

After having had two weeks of almost constant sunshine, I'm back home, in the rainy Lowlands. Almost immediately after stepping off the train, I was caught off guard by the cold wind. The skies looked gloomy and clouds were lying low, and indeed the morning greeted me with the slight sizzle of drizzling rain. My plans to cycle to work were dampened by the sight of a drenched cyclist who looked so very miserable as he cycled passed my front door.

I guess I'm in that 'post-holiday mood', in which you're trying to pick up the bits and pieces of 'normal' life after having blocked it all out for a while. And already on the first day back being faced with complicated issues of office politics. None of it has to do with me, but it does to some extent affect my new position as a student assistant during the summer somewhat. It make you wonder why things have to be so complicated.

During lunchbreak today, I quickly popped into the baby toy store to buy something I plan to send as a sort of 'thank you gift' for letting me stay so long. I guess a piece of my mind is still stuck in Strasbourg, and it will be hard to bring it back...

No comments: